Dental fillings have long been a solution to various dental problems, most commonly holes in our teeth caused by decay (a.k.a. cavities). Fillings fill up these cavities to allow teeth to remain healthy and continue functioning normally.
Fillings are typically composed of silver amalgam, composite materials (resin, glass), and porcelain ceramic. Fillings can be made to match the color of your teeth perfectly so that there is no noticeable difference.
How Do I Know I Need a Filling?
Are you wondering what it feels like when you need a filling? A dentist is the first person you should reach out to for advice. They will be able to look at your teeth and tell if a filling is needed to restore your tooth by examining closely, using x-rays, and checking for soft areas in your teeth.
However, there are a few signs of a cavity that you may notice on your own:
- Throbbing pain in the tooth (toothache)
- Pain or sensitivity when you eat or brush
- A visible hole in the tooth or mark indicating a hole
- Brown or black spots on your tooth
- Bad breath with unknown cause
- Chipped or broken tooth
Even if you aren’t experiencing any noticeable symptoms, you may still have a cavity. The best way to prevent and treat cavities is to visit your dentist every six months for a cleaning and check-up.
Why Do I Need a Filling?
You may be wondering why a filling is necessary. The main reasons it is necessary are:
- Prevent further tooth decay
- You may have pain that makes it difficult or uncomfortable for you to eat or do other tasks
- There is an increased risk of infections such as gum disease or gingivitis
- The cavity may lead to an extraction or root canal to solve the problem
Dental Fillings in Louisville, KY
Now that you know how to tell if you have a cavity, if you recognize any of these signs reach out to a qualified dentist right away. With no shame or judgment, we can help you determine if you have a cavity and what needs to be done to resolve the issue. Give us a call today at (502) 451-5222 to schedule an appointment!