The month of October is well-known for Halloween costumes and candy stashes. But did you know that October is also National Dental Hygiene Month? This entire month is dedicated to promoting healthy gums and teeth so that you can enjoy your candy at the end of the month.
How Can You Participate in National Dental Hygiene Month
One way you can take care of your dental health and balance all those Halloween sweets is by flossing daily.
There are parts of your teeth that a toothbrush simply cannot reach. Cleaning between your teeth removes plaque that builds up and can lead to gum disease or tooth decay.
The second way you can participate in National Dental Hygiene Month is to brush your teeth twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. Spend two minutes brushing to stop morning breath and reduce your chances of developing cavities.
Proper Brushing Techniques
- Tilt your brush to make sure you get the right angle—about 45 degrees.
- Use gentle pressure to brush in circles. You don’t want to wear down enamel by brushing too hard.
- Don’t forget to brush your tongue as well! The tongue is often the source of bad-breath bacteria.
- Brush the insides and outsides of both your upper and lower teeth.
- Change your toothbrush every 3-4 months or at the first sign of wear. Replace it with a soft toothbrush unless otherwise instructed by your dentist.
National Dental Hygiene Month is important to recognize the hard work of dental hygienists and to remind adults and children alike to participate in healthy habits this October. By taking part in these good habits you are preventing tooth decay, gum disease, and even tooth loss.
Breckenridge Dental Can Help You Celebrate National Dental Hygiene Month
As dental experts, we provide compassionate care to Louisville residents including general dentistry, cosmetic dentistry, bridges and crowns, and more. Celebrate National Dental Hygiene month by following these guidelines and scheduling your next dental visit.