What does it mean to have a crown replaced, and when should it be done?
A crown replacement is done by placing a shield over the tooth to replace lost strength in the tooth or to prevent the tooth from cracking further. Crown replacements are usually made with porcelain, but can also be made with metals, resin, or ceramics.
Signs You Need a Crown Replacement
Typically, we recommend getting a crown replaced in the following circumstances:
- A broken tooth or large cavity.
- The tooth structure is unable to support eating function.
- Old filling or old crowns. Crowns that are older than a decade may need to be replaced.
- Tooth decay.
- Pain and swelling of the gums.
- Cosmetic concerns such as discoloration of the tooth.
Benefits of Getting a Crown
- Restores the tooth’s original shape and function.
- Improves the overall appearance of the tooth.
- Protects your tooth from decay.
- Fixes broken, cracked, or chipped tooth.
What Happens If I Don’t Get a Crown Done?
The risks of not getting a crown done when you need one include further tooth decay, deepening cracks, and possible tooth loss.
In the case of decay, you don’t want to wait too long to get your crown done because the decay may worsen to the inner layer of the tooth where the nerve is. Then, a root canal may be necessary.
Crown Replacement in Louisville, KY
Make an informed decision about your dental health with the expert care and advice of a trusted dentist like Breckenridge Dental. We specialize in everything from general dentistry to bridges and crowns to periodontal care. Our friendly team is here to help bring a beautiful smile to your face for now and for many years to come.
Are you noticing signs that you need a dental crown replacement? Book an appointment today where we can examine your teeth and advise if you need treatment.